• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Sore Lower Back after Running

Clean_Cut

Bluelighter
Everytime I go on a run..even if its only say a 10-15 min jog, I get a dull aching type pain in my lower back.
I dont notice it too bad at first..but after about 5 hours I start to feel pain and then the next day its sore also.

At the moment (went running yesterday) ive pinpointed the pain moreso to the right hand side, although its pretty much right in the middle of my very lower back.

Im thinking possibly its bones or joints rubbing where they shouldnt be?

Any ideas on problem/treatment/prevention?

Thanks guys!

i have a condition where my vertebra are closing in on each other, if the padding between any vertebra were starting to close in you would know. my condition progressed for 14 or so years before issues began to really arise.

i have bi lateral sacroiliitis, and that could easily be aggravated by running and send pain to other areas like your lower back and abdomen. it is a bit uncommon but progresses to varying degrees.

or, it could have a lot to to do with your posture, and breathing technique.

how long have you been ruining,? it could be wise to ride a bike for a few months.

for my specific lower (L 4-L 5) my physical therapist had me do a stretch called the screaming cat.

if this begins to get worse, have some imaging done, if my ankylosing spondolytis had been noticed earlier, ...

read so about sacroiliitis, and osteoarthritis. the "screaming cat" stretch have some one watching and correcting your posture. try a bike for a while. MSN cream is great for inflammation prevention, glucose, posture, take a new route, you may be tensing your shoulders and breathing a bit differently and the stress will end up there from you having to over compensate.

the first things i'd look at are posture, stretching and shoes. a dull ache is more than likely muscular, and the best ways to piss off your back muscles while you're running is to have bad posture/form or the wrong shoes. the cheapest and easiest way to get advice on that is to go to a specialty running store and have them analyze your stride and fit you for the right shoes. if that doesn't work then it's likely best to see a doctor for professional advice.

First thing, STOP. I know this can be hard, but you gotta, for long terms sake, i started running after a long time without exercise thinking it was a good way to get fit and in shape which it is but can also be very damaging if not done properly.

as for me i damaged my knees which are now beyond repair and im only 22 due to a "jump in the deep end" with running, running almost everyday fora hour or so with no real warm up, totally just out of the blue.

as for your back...

do sum planks, hyper extensions, any lower back exercises... which are low imapct, do them PROPERLY AND AS SLOW AS POSSIBLE.. BIG LONG BREATHS.. this is a must, and especially difficult for smokers like myself but is crucial, your lower back is a weak point, as with most peoples and should be taken care of as much or if not more as any other part of the body... i wish you luck in your exercise, i also advise i diet of raw fresh organic fruit and veg to if your planning on getting in tip top health, do some reading on the raw fruit and veg thing, its all the rage these days, i also know it as the DMT(ayahuasca) DIET

as for me i damaged my knees which are now beyond repair

Did you recieve a diagnosis or are you just assuming whats wrong with your knee and that its beyond repair? If you've received a diagnosis I would be curious to hear what it is.

i told the doc, he prescribed codiene/paracetamol which i didnt feel any the pain was bad enough, more of a niggly pain the a hurt pain. now i lay of long fast run and stick to low impact jogging/swimming and make sure i rest enough .

lower back is part of the "posterior chain". you might consider weight training to strengthen that area. Hamstring curls, good mornings, deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts, glute bridges, etc.

lower back is part of the "posterior chain". you might consider weight training to strengthen that area. Hamstring curls, good mornings, deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts, glute bridges, etc.

Agreed. Having a strong "posterior chain" is vital for runners. IMO, deadlifts are 1 of the best exercises to build yourself up.

^i also really recommend balance ball exercises. as a runner, i don't do much weight training on my legs, but find that body-weight/balance-ball exercises give me the right balance of core strength and balance while not forcing me too far away from my main training focus. if i start trying to do any serious weights while i'm training for a race, i get disappointing gains from both activities.

if you just google "stability ball exercises for runners" you'll get a great introduction to the basic exercises. my favorites (though a little more advanced) are demonstrated here.